Saturday, March 28, 2009

Smoky Beef Tacos


Once again, here is a recipe from Everyday Food. I seriously love this little magazine. It is very worth the $10 a year I pay for it.
I made this in a slow cooker (different that the original recipe). It was super easy, and turned out perfectly. Plus it made the house smell fantastic all day long.
Just another note: I was kind of leary of the chipotle chilies. I have never cooked with them before. Do not skip this step. They looked kind of scary coming out of the can but was so flavorful and delicious! I found them in the Hispanic section of my grocery store.



Ingredients

Serves 8

  • 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 8 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds), excess fat trimmed
  • 16 corn tortillas (6-inch), lightly toasted
  • Roma tomato- diced
  • Cheddar cheese- shredded
  • Avocado-red onion relish-recipe follows
  • cilantro-lime crema-recipe follows

Directions

  1. Stir together chiles, ketchup, 1 cup water, garlic, oregano, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
  2. Cut beef into 4 equal pieces. Coat with chili mixture and place in a slow cooker
  3. Slow cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
  4. Transfer beef to a bowl. With a large spoon, skim off and discard fat from cooking liquid. Shred beef with two forks; moisten with cooking liquid as needed. Season with salt and pepper. Serve beef with tortillas and desired toppings.
  5. To toast corn tortillas: warm a frying pan over medium heat. Spray with pan spray. One at a time slightly toast tortillas, flipping over for even toasting.

Avocado-Red Onion Relish

Makes 3 cups

  • 2 diced avocados
  • 1 finely chopped medium red onion
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • Salt and pepper

Directions

  1. Combine avocados, red onion, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.

Cilantro-Line Crema

  • 8 ounces reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1/8 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • Salt and pepper

Directions

  1. Stir together sour cream, lime juice, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.

5 comments:

Bec said...

FABULOUS! They look/sound/smell (okay, maybe not smell) delicious! We also made Mexican tonight (and will most likely post about it sometime in the near future), but we sure could have used some of those avocados! Wish 'em my way, will ya? ;) Great recipe. Like always.

Unknown said...

okay..so I have to say yum!!! I was blog crusing and I came across this one...boy am I glad..some good ideas to spice up my "Salsa Night"....

Christine

Bec said...

Mindy, where have you been? I'm needing food ideas... and my food blog feels just a bit neglected. :)

Bec said...

Rum cake! Rum cake! Rum cake! :)

Ann said...

OMGOSH! These look amazing! I can't wait to make them!